Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I recently participated in the "Tour de Cure" Jersey Shore-rode the 100K route or 62.3 miles to those who are metric challenged-it is a math thing.

Whilst I was amongst varying levels of cyclists-NOT bikers, we don't ride Harley's-I saw many beautiful things.  Monmouth County NJ can be very lovely on a beautiful pre-autumn day.  It is very rolling at times and scenic.  The one thing that intrigued me the most was the wild life I saw up close and personal.  And I am not talking about the motorists who were driving like they were giving away money at the local bank.  I was a bit nervous about the volume and close proximity of the traffic.  I ride in New York City, so why should I be concerned?  Well I was on many levels and definitely aware of the swooshing cars going by-YIKES!

Back to Flora and Fauna-I saw many Deer who seemed emotionally okay with their new natural predator-the automobile.  At one time a Deer was running so close to me I thought-stay in your lane HOLD your line "Deerie".  

But the one thing that intrigued me the most  was the beautiful Red Fox (there are gray and white ones you know) who sprinted across the road about 20 meters in front of me.  When he or she crossed they stopped, sat down and looked at me.  I whistled to it like I would Cairo, my dog.  We seemed to be connected for a moment in time as fellow mammals.  It was one of those experiences you have in life where you know we are ALL connected.  Like the time in Edinburgh Scotland when I walked into a shop and caught the eye of the attendant and I felt like she knew me and I knew her from somewhere in time.

Well that Fox and I had a moment.  It made my ride for sure.  It was no much larger than Cairo and was fiery in color-just magnificent.  As I made my way past and got closer it slowly turned and ran into the wooded area.

If our natural animals are losing their natural habitats and dealing more and more with vehicles and keeping one paw in front of disaster on the road, why am I such a "Nervous Nellie".  I too, feel like the cyclists are losing their position in the great movement of people and things on our roadways.  How can I summons the courage to be amongst the traffic and stay calm like that Fox and the Deer?  My only thought is that they do not worry about their life span-just survival in their own Darwinian way.

So next time I am out there "amongst them there English" I will pray that my guardian Angels surround and protect me from any harm.  And I will pray for the Fox and his friend, the Deer.  I hope they will be safe as they transverse the roadways and paths of modern life.

No comments:

Post a Comment