Friday, October 10, 2014

Theater Tech is an Endurance Sport

Boy am I tired!  Some of you know I work in the "thee-ate-ore" as a Set Designer; my REAL job. Oh, side bar-that is not how you spell Theater.  But back when I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Central Missouri University, a student stopped and asked me how to spell Theater; they phonetically said it like "Thee + Ate + Ore".  So I guess it is "re" instead of "er".  Anyway I love to say it that way-remember I am  "T" with and "Odd".


Back to being so tired.  I thought I was "really spent" after doing 2 days of the KMC Cyclocross Festival here in Providence.  I had no idea that Theater Tech was an endurance sport.  There are no places to find recovery; no long straightways and not many down hills.  It is ALL technical stuff that keeps you on the "gas" from 8:30 am to sometimes 12:30 am.  It is a combination of physical, mental and psychological.  In this sport the "fly-overs", barriers and short steep ascents are HUGE and demand much energy.  There are no intervals that can prepare you for such an experience.  Yet each day after so little sleep I wake up and head towards to the local coffee chop to get caffeinated and some "fuel".  I am then ready to take the new "course" on again.  

I would love to be able to sleep perchance to dream like my little friend above-"Jimmy Jack". Nothing like a good rest with your favorite things and loved ones near.  I am looking forward to that "sleepy-sleeping" time next week.  My recovery plan is eat well and get hydrated.  Because in 2 more weeks I will be doing it all over again in another part of the country.  So I better get rolling today, go to the hardware store and then enter the Stage Door for another day of expending energy.  I guess I need to inform those in charge of this production that Masters 55+ Theatre is only a 45 minute race, not 14-16 hours. WE all finish on the the same lap as the leaders.  So, Mr. Potter needs to get to "Werk" and endure until I hear the bell for "one to go".

No comments:

Post a Comment