Friday, October 17, 2014

"Potter Speak"-You know what I am saying?

Do ever get this look from a friend or your best furry friend, like Jimmy Jack above?  Those sad eyes and look of bewilderment with a dose of "what the heck are you talking about?"  I experience these on a very regular schedule from students and colleagues.  I guess I speak a foreign language at times-"Potter speak".  My friend, another Todd (the tother-Todd) says that is "Todd being Todd."  That is all good, but I want my students and colleagues to comprehend.  It is so important in the process of communication and task accomplishments.  If you have no clear course of action how can you finish with a sense of "well done".  Frustration sets in and then you follow a path that is not true and full of detours only to arrive at your destination in an awkward way.

Well I just want you AWL to know that I am trying hard to break it down so you can get the information and go about your business.  If I don't understand something I ask and I try very hard to transpose it into my thought process and "Todd speak".  But as I tell people, "you don't want to try to understand how I think and process things.  Take what you can and then develop your own process which arrives at the same destination in the completion of a task.  The way I learned how to read a scale ruler in Stage Craft Class was so backwards, but I still could measure and read the drawings.  The scenery did not suffer.  Finally my Brother asked me what I was doing and I explained.  He said, "try this" as he rotated the scale rule to the correct side/scale.  It was, like a HUGE light bulb went off in my head.  And a feeling like, why did I not understand that in the beginning.  As they say here back east- "you know what I am saying?  You know what I mean?"  Oh and it is about 12 times in 2 minutes they say that phrase.

So next time you do understand "Todd speak", let me know and I will try to break it down in a way you can understand and feel confident.  You know what I am saying?  You know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment