Saturday, August 17, 2019

720 inches....

The Red Zone...

I saw Melissa walk 20 yards total today that’s 60 feet to those who think in feet and inches. It was with some assistance and she needs to work on standing tall and not looking at her feet but she walked and that made me proud of her. I also watched her Pedal the cycling machine for 15 Minutes. So I am very encouraged by the progress that I see in her physical attributes. I also watched her occupational therapy today where she did many arm exercises and agility things to distinguish rights from lefts  ups from downs. Still she persists in taking off the “pulse ox”. What is it with a band aid and sensor on your finger with a small diameter cord—give it a rest, please!!!  Ha ha.... Today was a good day and no Melissa you cannot have a glass of water, got to pass the swallow test.

Tomorrow I am taking the day off to go hang with Cairo and Nina in Spring Lake.  I miss Cairo and I am sure she is missing me in her own standoffish way.  Got to love her she does not waver.  And Nina will be ecstatic with her high pitched w[h]ine—it hurts our ears and may shatter a few wine goblets in the cupboard.

Now, you who want should visit Melissa.  Helen Hayes Hospital TBIR 4th FL Wing 4A.  Don’t stay long and it is best after 3pm.  Please don’t disturb her PT schedule from morning to early afternoon.  2 people at a time, no flowers or food.  If you touch her use gloves please.  She may be indifferent to your presence, but it is time to ease her back into her world of friends.  I will be there most days from 11 to 5 or 6.  Sometimes it is nice to have a break to breathe though, if we can coordinate that is awesome.

Here is to continued success in the following weeks.... (raise your glass of a beverage of your choice)

*pray for swallow test to be a success & brain function to right itself in good time

**had a Dream last night Melissa was at home and speaking/walking, I didn’t even notice her trach and feeding tube were gone-I was very happy in my dream.... I believe in this dream

2 comments:

  1. Todd,
    I believe that your dream will come through! Praying for healing, strength and food (successful swallow test) for my friend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Todd! This is great news. I'll try to come up in mid or late September after coordinating with you. Wow, I only started on bicycle last week after May knee surgery. So this is awesome progress for Melissa. Glenn

    ReplyDelete