Friday, September 20, 2019

6 weeks....

“6 weeks does not a therapy regime make”

Today it is 98 days in hospitals AND next week on Tuesday 6 weeks at HELEN Hayes.  That is 4 weeks of Acute Therapy and 2 weeks of Subacute Therapy.  That means 4 hours whittled down to 2 hours. [hope I have peaked the interest of the “Numbers People” who read this].  The next 2 weeks will be crucial for Melissa.  She has to pass a swallow test for solid foods & liquids.  Work on her core for stability for the mobility.  And get rid of the stomach “peg” to supplement feeding.  She is eating purée food now, and had a test grilled cheese today with MUCH coaching from her Speech Therapist.  Melissa doesn’t like the food and I said this isn’t a 4 Star Michelin restaurant.  I taste the food and it is better than NY Presbyterian which is rated #5 in the universe.  Although my Mother claimed it was the filthiest hospital she has ever been to.  She was a very tough nurse and knew the profession of giving care. [tough love ya’ll] 

If by chance you get a “wacka-doodle” (love this Liz thnx) phone call, TXT, Email, sorry.  Melissa right now suffers from “sundowners” (a form of dementia). I gave her the Smart Phone but....  Might be taking it away soon if this gets worse.  Dementia is a byproduct of the injury, but could change with time as the brain heals.  I witnessed this in 3 generations of my family and one in another’s, the chapter has not ended on that one.  I am dealing with a lovely person but when the clock hits 3:30-4pm it begins.  

Melissa and I played cards today.  It was fun, she was really focused and calculating.  She lost twice but really won, she did not count her cards correctly.  So it shows me her memory is good in some areas, but needs more time to heal.  She cracks me up, so serious about winning.  HAH.  We have lovely conversations about back packs/luggage she says is on the top floor with money hidden in them/it.  Melissa said she saw my Mother and Father the other day with my sister, Angela.  I asked her what Mom was wearing, she said she looked good.  My Father was nervous, talking much.  Was it a dream or a visitation....  if it was a visitation, “Mom and  Dad can you contact me, I have many questions about what lies beyond.” 

To Sum it up 6 weeks could evolve into 8 or 9 weeks in West Haverstraw NY.  Got to Swallow, chew solid food, find your stability/mobility and no more feeding tubes in the tummy.

*pray for healing in the brain, no more dementia

**start eating food to gain strength, accept the quality of food, as my Grandfather would say, “We have plenty to eat and nothing to waste.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment