Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Where have you “bean” Ben....

"I am trying so hard but need my rest"

Melissa is once again asking for no visitors, it is just too much for her right now.  She said when she is home, drop by to say hello.  I am sure we will have a welcome home celebration for her.

Her therapy sessions are going good.  She has real balance issues right now, but they have verified it is “the core” that needs focus; her legs are very strong.  With some work she will get there, to “right the ship”.  I am so happy that she is maybe trying to do things too quickly, but no work now, means no going home sooner.  When she stops to think about the process, then  she is quite successful.  So no need to rush, understand how it works then execute the task. They have been teaching me how to do some simple assisting things to help Melissa be a bit more independent not relying on aides to come, it can be too late for some things; if you get my drift.  But having said that, this is a process for her and much to think about with a brain that is already challenged with information central.

I spoke to key members of her Care Team today about progress and discharge.  As always the insurance company weighs in on the level of care.  Tomorrow she will be at a subacute level.  From this point on I need a weekly report to know what her progress is because I want to get her home as fast as possible.  She will heal quicker I know.  I am asking them to teach me how to assist her like I said previously.  Their goal is to make sure she can function at home without a care-giver.  I get it, but they don’t know Melissa and her “home base” yearning.  I am confident in 2-3 weeks she will be ready to be challenged with a new routine.  And there will still be outpatient or in home physical therapy.  By the way HH has a “Smart Apartment” sorta real stage set to teach the patients how to access the kitchen, bathroom, shower, get off the couch and retire the unit’s electrical system.  I was impressed with the thought and detail that went into this learning space.  Bravo HH, this is a quality place y’all. 

Melissa and I discussed the 3 things she has to do—eat food/ swallow, use the bathroom even with assistance and walking even with a walker or assistance.  She almost has 2 down and she is working on the swallowing/eating thing with her Speech Therapist.  Although she did not like the food they gave her today.  Sorry this is not a Michelin Star Menu, it will get better. [I hope]

*pray for stability, swallowing/eating & the troops in Afghanistan (seriously)

**believe with me that she will be discharged soon to begin a new way of living—sounds like “West Side Story” I actually prefer the East side, in a Cal Trask sorta way.

***Sasha used to say, “Where have you ‘bean’ Ben old friend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment