Wednesday, July 24, 2019

No place like home, homes....

I wanna go home....

Dorothy, ET and M wants to only go home.  I get it and I want Melissa home too, but as I explained to her, she has some goals to meet and muscles to prime; not mention to master the breathing thing that we AWL take for granted.  Coming home is the prize at the end of the slow race, it is very doable if she does not despair, which she will every so often.  I did when I was in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery.  The Care Team and Melissa have some "boxes to check" before that happens.  AND after "breathing bootcamp" she still has acute PT to get up on her feet and mobile.

She had a good day today.  I have noticed that about 3 pm she has some memory deficit.  She asked me again about the Wires and tubes she is connected to.  Minimal compared to the ICU unit and her first 2 weeks.  You have to have patience and go through it all again; this is expected.  Her brain is trying to retain new things coupled with recalling old things.  She was very fascinated with my Garmin watch that shows my pulse when I select that function.  I was explaining she has that on her monitor behind her but she wanted my watch on her wrist, I think we are going "steady".  

I did learn the hand signal for bed pan today, that's good to know because everybody poops as we say.  I am slowly learning how to read her lips AND she responds really well to multiple choice answers.  The book I am reading suggested that Yes and No answers do not challenge the person to process and deliver.  Keep it simple but don't talk loud and don't talk like she is 8 years old.  Be ready, it could be frustrating like talking to Cairo and expecting a response.

On the "M" Scale today was a 5 out of 10, no I will say 6 because I learned the bed pan hand signal from her.  Tomorrow I am bringing Cairo to visit, we will see how that goes for the 2 of them.  I am sure Cairo will be happy and then, "where's the treats MOM?"  

The Care Team is great and very engaged; their mission is to get her out of there in time--off the trach tube, speaking.  Her Mother came today with Al for a visit.  Mrs. Ix trimmed M's finger nails--very much needed.  The nurse told me today to bring her brush, she would brush her hair out; she has been wanting to do it AWL day long.  Will do.  One should not look like Medusa at TPL and Contractor meetings, could be intimidating.

AWL in AWL we had a very good day today.  

*continue to pray/believe/positive thoughts for healing, no fevers and breathing normal.  Also strong legs and arms.

**pray/believe/positive thoughts for her Care Team to use their knowledge and training to assist M in her healing.




No comments:

Post a Comment