Friday, June 28, 2019

Happy Face


“Put on a happy face”

Pick out a pleasant outlook, 
Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that “full of doubt” look,
Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!

I am not a big musical theater person; yes I know it has “made my way” in my chosen field in NYC.  “I may not be a smart man, but I know what Set Design is, Jennie.” Sorry, to let the proverbial cat out of the bag; I like dramas and comedies—for AWL you civilians we call them in the profession “straight plays”.  My undergrad major is in Speech and DRAMATIC Arts.  Mom would tell people I majored in Drama; we had plenty of that on Pleasant Avenue when I was growing up.  I have had plenty of that in the past 13 days.

I like plays that deal with human interaction and conflict, something that is thought provoking.  Musicals are too optimistic at times, at least the kind that we seem to keep reviving on Broadway.  They have songs we can sing and remember after the show has closed.  How many of you sing or hum a song from let’s say something new you have seen?  It is hard to recollect the tune or lyrics.  But the good ole musicals had great songs to put into your mind for future need to sing along or hum.  That 11 o’clock song was meant to be a real “hum dinger” as they say in the Ozarks.

I think the song “Put on a happy face” came to me today for a reason.  “Bye Bye Birdie” is not a “My Fair Lady” in musical theater lore but it had/has a purpose.  Today that song is my theme music.

It is more optimistic today for Melissa.  She smiled at me and understood some of what I was saying.  They took out the External Ventricular drain tube (EVD).  Her ICP, intracranial pressure has been good the past 2 days.  She is breathing more on her own without the ventilator doing most of the work.  Remember M rides an “E” assist bike, although there is a motor you still need to peddle.  She is more alert and smiled at me many times.  I explained to her some of what has happened and what she needs to do to get to the next level.  We still have that nagging low grade fever on and off.  Got to “war” on that y’all—“y’all” is for my Missouri and Oklahoma readers.

It was a good day for Melissa and gave us AWL a glimmer of moving forward.  I was happy today for her and her family and supporters.  “Spread sunshine all over the place”.  Amen

*Cairo went to the Vets today.  She lost a pound and got a good report from Dr. Glicker.  She did have a minor ear irritation I will monitor.  Her Mummy would be proud of her weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment